but this is my first time posting about it - so now it is officially "out there".
It is the EASIEST, healthiest dinner that my family adores.
It happened upon us when we were down to next-to-nothing in the 'fridge.
It was 5:30, and I just started thinking about dinner.
I happened upon these ingredients, and Voila! the "mmmmm's" and "aaaah's" were enough for me.
So, what is it? I call it Joe's Polenta Caprese.
I use ONE pan, ONE knife, ONE cutting board. It is the easiest on clean-up.
easiest to prepare, and food that you can feel good about
serving your family.
Here's the recipe: (all ingredients can be found at Trader Joe's - OR any grocery store.)
1pkg prepared polenta (in a log form), sliced in 1/2" rounds
1 roma tomato per person sliced 1/2"
1 bunch fresh basil
small handful fresh baby spinach
***1pkg chicken tomato-basil sausage (1 sausage per person)***
salt & pepper
extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat indoor grill pan (I have this one)
2. Slice polenta, liberally salt & pepper, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
3. Put polenta on grill pan. While polenta is grilling, slice tomatoes, mozzarella (if not pre-sliced) and sausage.
4. Flip polenta, make sure there are grill marks (about 5 mins/side).
5. Remove polenta from heat, and add sausage to grill.
6. Start arranging plates. Put a small handful of spinach in the center of the plate. Add mozzarella, 1 basil leaf and tomato on top. Add a small bit more salt and pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil (if you're not going to use a salad dressing)
7. Add sausage*** to the plate, and serve!
***We have also substituted Ina Garten's grilled salmon, and you can also substitute a grilled chicken breast***
I hope you enjoy - it is a little taste of summer any time of year.